Under Father Blume's tenure as President of St. Mary's University of San Antonio, he led the University into two extraordinary development programs. During his first term (1947-1953), Garni Science Hall, Chaminade Residence Hall and Charles Francis Residence Hall were constructed. During his second term (1963-1973), the Academic Library, the Law Complex, Moody Life Sciences Building, Richter Math-Engineering Building, Dougherty Residence Hall and Treadaway Hall were constructed.
In October, 2000, the Academic Library of St. Mary's University, built during Father Blume's second term as President, was rededicated as the Louis J. Blume Library.
Louis J. Blume was born December 21, 1913 in Chicago, Illinois, and entered the Society of Mary in 1931. He received a Bachelor of Science degree in Education from the University of Dayton in 1933, a Master of Arts degree from the Catholic University of America in 1941, and was ordained a priest at St. Meinrad, Indiana, in 1945. In 1961 he studied for a year at the Gregorianum and the Pontifical Archeological Institute in Rome.
When Father Blume was first appointed President of St. Mary's in 1947, he was at 34 one of the youngest university presidents in the country. Before becoming President of St. Mary's, he had taught at South Side Catholic High School, St. Louis; Chaminade College, Clayton, Missouri; St. Anselme, Quebec; and Maryhurst Normal, Kirkwood, Missouri. From St. Mary's, he returned to Chaminade College, as its president from 1955 to 1961, then he moved to Fribourg, Switzerland, to become in 1962 the first headmaster of Villa St. Jean International School. From there he returned to St. Mary's for his second term as president.
The Very Reverend Louis J. Blume, S.M., died January 2, 1977, aged 63. He was convalescing from a heart attack suffered the previous October. At the time of his death, Father Blume was assistant pastor of Our Lady of the Pillar Church in Creve Coeur, St. Louis, Missouri.